Running the Bruce Trail is not for the faint of heart. The trail is rugged, slippery and requires runners to adapt to scrambling and slower pacing where safety dictates.
Safety Video: It is mandatory for all marathon and half marathon participants to watch the TTRW Safety Video at this link
42km of scenic trail. Difficulty Level: High
The full marathon course goes from Tobermory to the Cyprus Lake Campground and back generally following the Bruce Trail. Click here to see maps of the park.
21km of scenic trail. Difficulty Level: High
The half marathon course begins at the Cyprus Lake Campground and generally follows the Bruce Trail back to Tobermory.
NEW: Minimum Age Requirements
All half marathon racers must be age 16yrs or older. All marathon racers must be 18yrs or older. If you would like to race underage you will need to contact us to be considered for an exception, certain restrictions may apply.
1. TRAIL CONDITIONS – The Bruce Trail is a fabulous hiking trail but it can be incredibly strenuous, runners should accept the fact that they may occasionally have to walk or even scramble due to trail conditions.
Trail conditions include:
- Brief gravel packed trails and roads
- Cobble stone beaches
- Root and rock covered trails
- Rocky steep cliffs
- Rock crevices
- High cliff edges
- Uneven footing
2. All racers must check-in and pick up their bib & package on the morning of the event at the Tobermory Community Centre between 5:30am and 7:00am. We suggest coming to the Community Centre and parking, going inside to pick up your race-kit, which will include a free parking pass for the Legion Street Public Parking Lot. Drive to the Legion St. lot to park for the day and then proceed to the Downtown Tobermory Cenotaph for the Mandatory Pre-Race Briefing at 7:15am.
3. Aid Stations. Aid Stations will have water, sports drink, bananas, oranges + salty things. This is a cupless event, so participants need to have their own drinking vessel (min. 125ml) to fill up at aid stations.
Marathon Aid Station Locations: 8k (CP1 Little Cove), 13k (CP2 Rovers), 20k (CP3 Cyprus Lake), 28k (CP2 Rovers), 33K (CP1 Little Cove)
4. The Start for the marathon will be in Downtown Tobermory at the Cenotaph. The Start for the half marathon will be at the Cyprus Lake Campground. Transportation to the Half-Marathon start line will be provided by Race Management. If you take your own vehicle parking is limited and there is a risk you will not get to the area in time for your race.
5. Cut-Off Times:
a) Marathon participants must reach the ½-way point at Cyprus Lake “Head of Trails 3” by 11:30 AM.
b)All Participants must reach the Little Cove CP on their North Bound Leg of the trip by 2:30 PM
6. At all times runners must follow the directions of race officials. If you are withdrawing from the race, you must inform the nearest race marshal or official (friendly volunteer with race lanyard & badge) or else you risk being missed by our sweep team. If you do not notify a race official, a search & rescue operation will take place at your expense.
7. Due to the narrow trails and steep drop-offs, slippery rocks, etc. no dogs, push buggies, supporters or bicycles are allowed. Take care with and be courteous to other trail users. These are public trails and other users can use the trails while the race is underway. If you see a hiker or a biker, let them know you are coming and try to avoid disrupting their trail experience. Mandatory gear is only a small whistle and 125ml of water carrying capacity, but we recommend carrying a small list of first aid supplies and enough hydration and nutrition for the event.
8. Runners are expected to be courteous and respectful to volunteers, other racers and visitors. Anyone found mistreating a volunteer, or member of the public will be disqualified.
9. Exercise care and caution and common sense on trails. Especially when passing other runners on the trail. Let others know you are coming and that you intend to pass.
10. Mandatory gear includes a whistle and minimum 125ml of water carrying capacity.
11. Safety on this course requires racers look out for one another:
- If you leave the race for any reason, make sure you tell the nearest race volunteer.
- If you encounter a runner in distress, offer assistance and/or report the situation to the nearest aid station.
- Whistle protocol (three blasts if lost or in need of help, two blasts in response if heard)
12. Racers are expected to pack in and pack out or make use of the garbage receptacles provided. Any racers found littering will be disqualified from the race.
13. Headphones/earbuds must not be worn while on the course. There will be a spot check for headphones at some point on the trail this year with a ½ hr time penalty for those found using them.
14. Drop Bags:
Marathon: If they choose, marathon runners can provide race management with a drop bag at race-kit pickup which will be taken to the half-way point at Cyprus Lake Campground. Drop bags must be labelled with a runners name and bib number (bib numbers will be provided in final email update week of the event).
Half Marathon: Half marathoners can place any bags, jackets or extra layers in a bin with race management at their start line at Cyprus Lake if they’d like to bring these items with them for the bus ride. The bin will be available at the Finish Line to re-collect gear.
15. Spectators. Spectators are encouraged/welcomed at the Finish Line and along the streets in Tobermory. Spectating along the course would be a challenge due to limited access to the trail and limited parking availability with Bruce Peninsula National Park. Parking in many spots within the National Park must be pre-booked. Please see this link for more details: https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/on/bruce/activ/emplacements-locations