NEW – FPI5K racers need to print their parking passes before arrival, they can be downloaded here: Sunday Parking Pass. This is to save time and negate the need to return to vehicles after checking in at the Blue Heron Dock. The parking pass is only accepted at the Legion St. municipal lot.
FPI5K Breakfasts will be served by the Hungry Hiker back on the mainland after your run. It was too onerous from a Covid-mitigation standpoint to organize breakfast on the island this year. Each participant will receive a meal voucher with their packet pick-up for the Hungry Hiker. Vouchers must redeemed on Sunday September 19th, 2021.
Running on trail is not for the faint of heart. This trail is rugged, slippery and requires runners to adapt to scrambling and slower pacing where safety dictates.
Course Length: Trail is 5 km
Difficulty Level: Moderate to High
Minimum Age Requirements
All racers must be age 13yrs or older. If you would like to race underage you will need to contact us to be considered for an exception, certain restrictions may apply.
2021 FORMS: Forms need to be filled out and submitted online prior to arrival at the host site. Each participant will need to fill and sign the; waiver, health information form and Canatrace Covid Pre-Screen Test. The waiver and health form can be filled out at any time, however the Canatrace Covid Pre-Screen Test must be filled out the morning of your respective event. Be prepared to show the green checkmark produced by the Canatrace test upon arrival.
2021 Schedule of Events
Sunday September 19, 2021:
5:00am-6:00am Volunteer Check-In (at the Blue Heron Dock)
5:30am-6:15am FPI5K Participant Race-Kit Pick-Up (at the Blue Heron Dock)
6:15am – 6:30am Board the ferry to Flowerpot Island
6:45am – FPI5K Pre-Race Meeting (on Flowerpot Island)
7:00am-7:15am FPI5K Staggered Starts
7:25am-8:15am FPI5K Finishes
8:45am Return to Blue Heron Dock
- Trail Conditions – The Bruce Trail is a fabulous hiking trail but it can be incredibly strenuous, runners should accept the fact that they may occasionally have to walk or even scramble due to trail conditions.
Trail conditions include:
Brief gravel packed trails
Root and rock covered trails
High cliff edges
- Race Kit pickup times are 5:30am-6:15am at the Blue Heron Dock. Ensure all online forms have been filled out prior to arrival and you have the green checkmark from the Covid Pre-Screen Test readily available.
- All racers must be at the Dock in Tobermory at 6:15am Sunday. The boats departs for Flowerpot Island at 6:30am sharp and waits for nobody!
- All racers must attend the Race briefing at 6:45am on the Dock at Flowerpot Island.
- Start is the on a rocky beach close to the dock at Flowerpot Island where the boat will disembark. Details on Flowerpot Island Terrain are here.
- The Finish Line is at the same location as the start. Runners will complete two loops of the main trail on Flowerpot Island for a total of 5.3km
- The race will begin AT SUNRISE (approx. 7am) and will begin in waves of 5-10 racers.
- There will be a race cutoff time of 8:15am so that everyone finishes in time for the return ferry ride. Breakfast will be provided once back on the mainland. The return transportation to Tobermory is again by boat and will depart at 8:30am.
- Awards pick-up will take place back in Tobermory dockside.
- At all times runners must follow the directions of race officials.
- Due to the narrow trails and steep drop-offs, slippery rocks, etc. no dogs, push buggies, supporters or bicycles are allowed. Take care with and be courteous to other trail users. These are public trails and other users can use the trails while the race is underway. If you see a hiker or a biker, let them know you are coming and try to avoid disrupting their trail experience.
- Live tracking of race times will be available on our results page.
- Runners are expected to be courteous and respectful to volunteers, other racers and visitors.
- Exercise care and caution and common sense on trails. Especially when passing other runners on the trail. Let others know you are coming and that you intend to pass.
- Safety on this course requires racers look out for one another:
If you leave the race for any reason, make sure you tell the nearest race volunteer.
If you encounter a runner in distress, offer assistance and/or report the situation to the nearest aid station.
- Racers are expected to pack in and pack out or make use of the garbage receptacles provided. Any racers found littering will be disqualified from the race.
- Headphones/earbuds must not be worn while on the course.
- Passing and Drafting. No drafting of another participant while on course (maintain 2m distance or more). Passing rule implemented: person overtaking informs person ahead of desire to pass in an area where 2m distance can be maintained.
In case of the small craft weather warning of such strength that the Boat Captains (Blue Heron Company), Parks Canada, or the organizers deem it unsafe to proceed to the island, the race course will be changed to the Burnt Point Loop on the mainland with breakfast being served at the Hungry Hiker. Racers will be notified as early as possible of such a change, and if severe weather is forecasted, racers will be notified at check-in. There are no refunds of entry fees, or ferry fees if the event is cancelled, or moved to the mainland due to weather or other unforeseen circumstances. Ferry services are donated to the event by Blue Heron Cruises as the event is being run to raise funds for the Tobermory Primary Place Child Care Centre.
Once registered, racers will receive 3-4 newsletters with relevant info.
The first racer newsletter for 2021 is here
The second racer newsletter for 2021 is here
The third racer newsletter for 2021 is here